30 June 2011

Penguin Icebox Cookies


It's been a while since I've made anything penguin-related and since today is Penguin says Feed Me's 2nd birthday, I couldn't think of a more appropriate occasion to bake these penguin icebox cookies.


I first saw these here way back in February and I knew I had to make them. Not only are they cute and adorable PENGUINS but they're purple as well (which is my favourite colour!).


And speaking of purple, I have yet to show off my brand new KitchenAid (in Grape!) which Sir D and a whole bunch of awesome food bloggers contributed towards for my birthday this year - thanks again!! She is yet to be named but I am open to suggestions!


I'm surprised it's already been 2 years since I started this blog. I can still remember the day I opened a Google account and clicked on "Create Blog" in Blogger, and stumbled around with all the different options, not having a clue what I was doing. Since then there has been 170 blog posts, 1785 comments, a few blog layout changes, countless food photos and priceless friendships forged. And even though there's been a few "OMG I broke my blog!" moments, and many mornings where I've woken up bleary-eyed and tired from blogging late into the night, I don't regret a single moment of it!



Penguin Icebox Cookies
makes about 20 cookies

110g butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
pinch of salt
1 egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla extract
purple food colouring (or red and blue food colouring)
200g plain flour
Poppy seeds and sesame seeds for decorating
White chocolate for decorating

1. Cream butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy. Add salt and egg yolk and beat until combined. Add the vanilla extract and mix.

2. Take about 3/4 of the mixture out of the mixer and set aside. Add 50g of the flour to the smaller portion and mix until a dough forms. Remove from the mixer and wrap with cling wrap and set aside.

3. Take the remainder of the butter, sugar and egg mixture and mix in the purple food colouring (or red and blue colouring in a ratio of about 3:1) until the desired colour is achieved. Add the remaining 150g of flour and mix until a dough forms. Wrap with cling wrap.

4. To make the penguin shapes, take the smaller, yellow dough and roll out into a log about 2cm in diameter. Set aside. Take the larger, purple dough and roll out into a rectangle shape as long as the yellow log and about 1.5cm in height. Flatten out the sides of the rectangle with the rolling pin and then wrap the purple dough around the yellow dough and seal the edges. For a diagram of this process, check out the original recipe from Diamonds for Dessert.


5. Wrap the entire log in cling wrap and refrigerate for 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 160ÂșC and line a cookie sheet with baking paper. When the dough is firm, take the log out of the fridge and slice with a serrated knife into 0.5cm slices. Place the slices onto the lined cookie sheet. Place two poppy seeds on top of the cookie as the eyes, and a sesame seed as the beak. Chill slices for 10 minutes in the fridge. Place in the oven to bake for 12-15 minutes and cool on the cookie sheets for 3 minutes, then move to a wire rack to cool completely.

6. When the cookies are completely cooled, melt some white chocolate and pipe feet and wings onto the cookies. Alternatively, use a toothpick to apply the white chocolate to the cookies.

27 comments:

  1. Omg! So frigging cute! Happy 2nd bloggerversary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh mah gaaaaaaaaddd they're *squeal* so CUTE! Happy birthday to Penguin Says Feed Me! Can't believe it's been 2 years already! Here's to many more awesome food :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. AHH they're so adorable!!! and what a sexy Kitchenaid!
    Happy birthday to your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhhh! These are so ridiculously cute, so squee-worthy! Happy 2nd blog birthday!!! I love that we have a shared love for purple :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those cookies are adorable!! ^^
    Congrats on your blog's birthday!
    Am looking forward to more awesome posts in the future~

    ReplyDelete
  6. soooo cuteeee!!! eeeeee!!! happy blogiversary! here's to many more years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG...so cute, just had to share the link on my fan page to show how very talented you are ;) And I love penguins!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy 2nd birthday! Hope there are many more penguins, cookies and colourful mixers in your future.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy 2nd anniversary!!! They are so cute, save some for us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. aww the purple penguins are sooooooooooooooooooo cute!!! and Happy 2nd Birthday to Penguin says Feed Me! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely adorable. Penguins are my favorite!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That kitchenaid is freakin GORGEOUS! So jealous, i will have to made do with my trusty worn wooden spoons for the time being :) and dont get me started on how adorable your cookies are, utterly perfect. Happy blog anniversary :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ok, I just had to make a comment! Those penguins are SO cute. I want to pinch one and then nibble it to death. Plus, that mixer is gorgeous! You have some awesome friends.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aww happy bloggerversary! The penguins are soooooooooooooooooooo adorable. Looking forward to seeing what the next year has lined up for you :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on two years! I love how you've mentioned the great friends you've made through blogging - for me that has been the best part of starting my blog....I certainly didn't expect to meet so many great ppl when I had "create blog" last year.

    ReplyDelete
  16. 1. I LOVE YOUR MIXER!!!
    2. Could these cookies be any cuter?!?
    3. Happy blogiversary!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love them, so cute! and happy 2nd birthday and oh my goodness i want a purple kitchen aid.......sigh

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy 2nd! Those cookies are just sooooo cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. She's gorgeous.
    I vote you name her lola.
    The cookies are uber cute too :3

    ReplyDelete
  20. So, so cute and adorable! I remember seeing that post as well, but I got roped in by the turtle cookies =p

    Happy 2nd blog birthday and here's for many more to come! (And hopefully more sleep...zzZZzz...)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Found your blog threw Foodgawker. My hubby and I LOOOVE penguins! Was very excited when I saw this recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. [...] says Feed Me’s 3rd birthday! Unlike last year where I had the foresight to bake something a little bit special for the occasion, this year the day just snuck up on me and so I didn’t have time to bake [...]

    ReplyDelete
  23. SO NICE! ,o) I just LOVE your purple Kitchen Aid.
    Can you you tell me the exact color ( code) ?
    I have recently ordered a purple Kitchen Aid.. Not quite sure.. but think that it's more violet than purple..

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Ditte - Thanks! I'm not sure what the colour code is as I received it as a gift and I think it may have been limited edition. All I know is that it's the Grape colour (not Boysenberry which I think is the other purple one).

    ReplyDelete