7 July 2011

Tara Tea Room, The Rocks (now The Tea Cosy)

After seeing Suze's post on the scones at Tara Tea Room I knew where I was going for my next scone fix! One afternoon Sir D and I were wandering around The Rocks and we came upon this outside the Irish Design Shop:

Scones!

We knew we'd found the location of the Tara Tea Room so in we went.

Lots of tea cosies

We walk through the shop filled with Irish paraphernalia, past a staircase with tea cosies lining the side to the back area where you can order freshly baked scones, jam and cream.

Menu

There are lots of ways you can have your scones and lots of jams and creams to go with them. There are also speciality scones which are constantly changing and today they are maple syrup, date and cheese. We're not quite hungry enough to have a tasting basket for two so we go for the Devonshire Tea with an extra scone and extra jam.

Devonshire Tea - $9.50, with extra scone ($1.50) and extra jam ($1)


We also get some hot drinks to warm us up on the rainy and chilly day that it is. My Irish Breakfast tea comes in a teapot complete with its own knitted tea cosy! Sir D needs a caffeine hit so opts for a coffee.

Irish Breakfast Tea - $3 (left) and Latte - $3 (right)

Today we've gone for a plain scone, a cheese scone and a maple syrup scone with triple berry jam, paw paw, lime and passionfruit jam and of course cream. We start with the plain scone which is gloriously fluffy and is the perfect vehicle to try all the jams, with the triple berry jam being my favourite.

Plain, cheese and maple syrup scones with triple berry jam, paw paw, lime and passionfruit jam and double-thick cream

The cheese scone reminds me of a cheese and bacon roll from the local bakery but denser in texture. It goes surprisingly well with the not-too-sweet paw paw, lime and passionfruit jam.


I love the sprinkling of brown sugar on top of the maple syrup scone but this one is a little dry and less fluffy than the others. There is only a slight maple syrup flavour but the outer crust of the scone is almost crunchy which is a good contrast with the soft innards. We're glad we ordered extra jam because this gives us the opportunity to slather it on thickly onto the scone - bliss!

Scone o'clock!

And outside the Irish Design Shop is a clock that tells you exactly when the next fresh batch of scones will be out of the oven so you don't miss scone o'clock!

Tara Tea Room (now renamed The Tea Cosy)
33 George Street
The Rocks NSW 2000
Ph: +61 2 9247 3233
Open Fridays 10am - 4pm, Saturday and Sunday 10-5pm


View Larger Map

Tara Tea Room on Urbanspoon

17 comments:

  1. Ooooooooh I love scones! Omg your post reminded me- I once served the lady who owns the (now former) Tara Tea Room at VB! I was asking her why she was buying, like, literally, 20 teapots, and she was like, yes, I run this place called the Tara Tea Room on George Street at the Rocks =D Wow thanks for reminding me, dunno if she still owns it hahahaha =) Nom nom nom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the lineup of teapots on the stairs! Hmmm and now I'm craving scones! They look so light and fluffy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this place and love how there's a clock in the front of the shop telling you when the batch of scones will come out. They always have a nice selection of scone flavours and scrumptious jams

    ReplyDelete
  4. The tea cosies are so cute! The scones look so scrumptious ^O^

    ReplyDelete
  5. what's the time? SCONE TIME!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nawwww, love the tea cosies marching up the stairs..... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the tea cosies on the stairs! so cute :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's always a good time for scones! I usually don't opt for the savoury scones (not when the sweet ones are an excuse to load up on jam and cream!) but your description of the cheese scone has got me excited! Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute! I'm partial to a bit of afternoon and/or high tea once in a while and this looks fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tea cosie covered teapots up the stairs - cuteness! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  11. The teapots leading you up the stair case are ADORABLE! What a cute touch. I like the sound of the cheese scone...shall add this place to my ever growing wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  12. yum the scones here are pretty nice :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cheese and bacon scone??? Maple syrup scone?!?!? I'm so there!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. aaaw the tea cosies are so cute! mm scones with fig, almond & ginger jam for me :9

    ReplyDelete
  15. ohh i always had this place at the back of my mind after reading it on suze's blog. now u just relived my memory. gotta visit soon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Scones, yummmmmo! I shamefully eat the buttermilk ones from Coles so I need to stop that and venture out to find some better ones!

    ReplyDelete