27 February 2012

Cafe Enzo, Polkolbin

Outdoor seating

Despite having lived in Sydney all my life, it was only recently that I managed to convince Sir D that a trip to the Hunter Valley would be a good idea. Good food, cheese and wine tasting and a room with a king size bed, giant TV and spa - what's not to love?

Campos coffee - $4

After road tripping it for a couple of hours we finally arrived at our destination. And our first stop was to refuel (ourselves, not the car) at Cafe Enzo. Coffee was just what we needed, and the little tiny teddy served on the side was a cute touch.

Scones - $15 (includes tea or coffee)

It was a little late for lunch so we settled on getting some afternoon tea instead. Which was perfect for me because I already had my sights set on the scones! These glorious, fluffy squares arrive warm and lightly toasted so there is an ever so slightly crisp exterior. The clotted cream and strawberry conserve is slathered thickly onto the scones before they are devoured.

Individual lemon tart with King Island cream and blueberries -$14


The lemon tart is slightly different to what I was expecting but still delicious nonetheless. We are left wondering where the cream and blueberries are and then we discover the cream and blueberry surprise in the centre of the tart. The lemon innards are super sour for me but Sir D loves it and has no trouble finishing it off.

Eggs with toast - $14

On our last morning in the Hunter, we return for breakfast before the drive home. Sir D goes for the eggs with toast where you can select how you would like your eggs. His choice of scrambled results in a mountain of eggs piled on top of some buttered toast which is so massive it defeats us in the end.

Eggs benedict - $23

The promise of bacon and hollandaise sauce leads me to choose the eggs benedict. The spinach and bacon slices are carefully placed on two thick cut slices of ciabatta, and topped with two perfectly poached eggs and a creamy hollandaise sauce. The yolks of the eggs are still gloriously runny and the hollandaise is silky, rich and tangy. This is definitely up there as one of the best eggs benedicts I've had.

Cafe Enzo

Cafe Enzo is great spot in the Hunter Valley for a relaxing breakfast or lunch. The staff are friendly and easygoing and are happy for you to sit there for as long as you like. Take advantage of the outdoor seating if the weather is fine and don't forget to order those scones!

Cafe Enzo
Peppers Creek
Cnr Broke and Ekerts Road
Pokolbin NSW 2320
Ph: +61 2 4998 7233
Open 7 days for breakfast and lunch


View Larger Map

Cafe Enzo on Urbanspoon

7 comments:

  1. I love Cafe Enzo, but havent been back for a long time. Will definitely dropby again next time I am there. David Hook wine just next door is pretty darn good too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you, I only visited the Hunter Valley for the first time early last year after living in Sydney my whole life. I somehow managed to miss Cafe Enzo though. The scones certainly do look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the lemon tart and eggs benedict looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow this looks fab! I'm going to Hunter Valley in a few weeks so super excited to read this post :) Hopefully will be able to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We were here a few weeks ago and didn't get a chance to try it. After skipping breakfast and planning on a largish lunch after visiting David Hook, the afternoon tea menu just didn't seem to have anything substantial enough on it to soak up some of the lovely wine.
    I wish we'd managed to get back now, those eggs look great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kinda wishing I had stopped over at Cafe Enzo when I went to HV earlier this year :( Those scones do look very comforting

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohh I'm going there this weekend! Can't wait! I die for those scones

    ReplyDelete