18 February 2015

Buffalo Dining Club, Darlinghurst

For a long time, the only cheese I knew about was the plasticky slices of Kraft Singles. I remember trying to make grilled cheese as a kid and wondering why my cheese didn't ooze and melt under the grill quite like the ones I saw on TV.


It wasn't until later on in life that I realised that there was a whole world of cheeses beyond Kraft Singles, all with different flavours and textures. I soon discovered that soft, creamy cheeses like brie and camembert, and stretchy, mild flavoured cheeses like mozzarella were amongst some of my favourites, and sought them out like they were going out of fashion.

Buffalo Dining Club menu

It wasn't long before I found out about burrata, a stretchy pouch of milky mozzarella that holds a surprise flowing river of rich thickened cream inside. When I saw it on the menu at Buffalo Dining Club, I knew I had to have it. The other cheeses would have to wait because the burrata was calling my name!

Burrata with choice of two sides - $20

All the cheeses at Buffalo Dining Club are $20 each and come with a choice of two sides. We decided to get the potato croquettes and honey baby carrots to go with our cheese. The plate also comes with some bread and nduja, a spicy sausage that you can spread onto the bread.

Burrata

The cows' milk burrata is buttery and smooth just like you'd expect, though a bit softer and less stretchy than others I've had in the past. I was expecting a river of cream to flow out of the burrata once we broke open the pouch but there wasn't as much as I had hoped. Not to worry though, because the cheese was still creamy and silky in texture, and we didn't leave any of it on the plate.

Honey baby carrots and potato croquettes

The potato croquettes were more like pommes noisette, or round potato gems. They were perfectly spherical potato balls with a crispy outside - kind of like a round version of fries! These were addictively good. The carrots were sweet and tender and yep that was pretty much my vegetable intake for the meal...

San Daniele prosciutto - $10 for 60g

Apart from the cheese, the charcuterie is also worth checking out. There's a selection of prosciutto, jamon, bresaola and other cured meats and we end up with a healthy 60g of San Daniele prosciutto. The prosciutto is served on a piece of wax paper and it's sliced super thinly. After one slice, we are immediately regretting not going for the 90g option because it's deliciously fatty and simply melts in the mouth.

Gnocchi - $20

Our last dish is a plate of buffalo ricotta gnocchi in a napolitana sauce. The ricotta gnocchi are so light and airy - it's like eating pillows of clouds! This was a great way to have a pasta dish that wasn't too rich or stodgy after the cheese and prosciutto, and even though I had a serious case of food envy watching the spaghetti being served in the pecorino cheese wheel, I was glad we stuck with our choice of gnocchi.


So cheese, prosciutto and pasta is pretty much all that's on offer at the Buffalo Dining Club, but it's what they do best. This is a fantastic place to take any cheese lover, and as a self-professed cheese lover who has graduated from Kraft Singles, I'm already planning a return visit.

Buffalo Dining Club
116 Surrey Street
Darlinghurst NSW 2010
Ph: +61 2 9332 4052
Open Wednesday to Saturday, midday to 11pm



Buffalo Dining Club on Urbanspoon

5 comments:

  1. So much cheesy goodness. We didn't grow up with much cheese either but now I love my little cheese platter for supper these days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. one of my favourite places in Sydney!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure that I lived on Kraft cheese sandwiches when I was in primary school! There's still an element of nostalgic enjoyment in having a Kraft cheese sandwich...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This place is amazing, love the food here!

    ReplyDelete