28 August 2012

Pub Life Kitchen, Surry Hills


When the Chocolatey one asks you, "Want to eat burgers?" you know it's not going to be an ordinary night. We head to Pub Life Kitchen, the land of Tropic Thunder burgers, mango and coconut shakes and PB&J burgers. Sadly, these specials are only on Wednesday nights, but that doesn't stop us from going wayyyy over the top with our ordering.

Beer battered potato scallops with cheesy nap sauce

We nurse crisp and fruity Sydney ciders, or in Suze's case, a Coopers longneck, while we point excitedly at the menu. "Bone marrow on toast!" "Fish fingers!". But when we try to order these, we're told that they're no longer serving them... sadness.

Chicken wings - $8

That's ok though, because we console ourselves over several servings of fried food, like the deep fried potato scallops which are more deep fried than potato, and the super crispy chicken wings.

Cheesy polenta chips with jalapeno mayo - $8

My favourite out of our nibbles were the cheesy polenta chips which were batons of crisp polenta on the outside with fluffy innards. There wasn't much cheese to speak of but the creamy, slightly spicy jalapeno mayo more than made up for it.

Chicken burger - $15

So I was already getting a bit full from all the fried foods so imagine my shock when I see how massive the burgers are, and the mountain of chips next to it. Sir D clearly hasn't had enough deep frieds yet and goes for the chicken burger with fried chicken, lettuce, tomato, cheese and mayo.

The O.G. - $15

The O.G. aka Original Gangster is my choice with a house ground beef patty, caramelised onion, tomato, smoked cheese and homemade aioli. It's a pretty damn good burger, with a juicy patty and melty cheese and Richard has little trouble powering through his burger. I, on the other hand, make it about 3/4 of the way before accepting defeat.

Cheeseburger - $15

Suze's order of a cheeseburger "with extra cheese" results in 4 slices of smoked cheese on her burger lol. The cheese is accompanied by the usual cheeseburgers suspects - a beef patty, pickles, onions, mustard and tomato sauce. And yet another mountain of chips which we barely make a dent in.

Brownie sundae

We're at bursting point but Suze's eyes light up at the mention of dessert. A brownie sundae? Don't mind if I do! Thankfully we have one to share which is more than enough. And this isn't your typical brownie sundae as well. Sure, there's brownie, and cream (loads of it) but there's also some crunchy peanut brittle, chunks of honeycomb, fresh strawberries and a river of butterscotch sauce! After a few mouthfuls, I call defeat and even after some digestion time, we struggle to the station as a food coma closes in on us. Yep, definitely not an ordinary night.


Pub Life Kitchen
Level 1, 40-44 Wentworth Avenue
Sydney NSW
Ph: +61 2 8262 8888
Open 7 days, noon-2.30pm, 5-9.30pm
Also check their facebook page for the latest specials


View Larger Map

Pub Life Kitchen on Urbanspoon

9 comments:

  1. My love for potato scallops is immeasurable! Impressive for pub burgers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It all looks pretty solid, the burgers especially. I don't even know if I could finish it myself. Always a yes to polenta chips - I've only recently discovered it and it blows my socks off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my lord, I'm popping this on my to-do list!! You had me at the beer battered potato scallops!! Not to mention those burgers and polenta chips and the brownie sundae ahhh!! Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had way too much food when I went but I love their cheeseburger :3 sad that their last service is 22nd Sept :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Vivian - Oh no, are they closing already? Or was it just a temporary thing?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The "Chocolatey one" LOLz! That O.G. burger seems more like my style! So sad they are closing and I haven't even tried em yet :( can't wait for their new location to commence trading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Cheesus Christ - I know, I heard! So exciting, can't wait to go back for my burger fix! P.S. awesome name haha

    ReplyDelete