15 January 2013

Orto Trading Co, Surry Hills


Catching up with friends is always done best over delicious food. It doesn’t hurt to have a nice ambience and pretty decor either, and thankfully Orto Trading Co delivers on all three. I’m one of the first in our group to arrive, but feel quite at home on the large wooden table in amongst all the fresh flowers and breakfasty aromas wafting from the kitchen.

Freshly squeezed juices - $6.50

It’s a little early for alcohol so we forego the breakfast cocktails and stick to the freshly squeezed juices. My pineapple, passionfruit, apple and lime juice is a tangy concoction with passionfruit seeds lurking at the bottom. The mixed berry juice is a little sweeter, with plenty of pulpy berry bits.
Grilled sweet corn - $9

A plate of grilled sweet corn arrives on the table, with chilli-lime butter and lashings of grated cheddar. The bright yellow kernels are nicely charred and juicy, and the corn cobs disappear in no time.

Baked eggs - $18

There were so many items on the menu that sounded and looked good, so after much umm-ing and ahh-ing, I finally decided to order the baked eggs. The first thing that impressed me was the presentation, with the roasted tomatoes on the vine, and the cast iron pan. Underneath the soft eggs and the fior de latte was salty sobrasada sausage and sweet roasted capsicum - a winning combination of flavours. The serving was large enough that I struggled to finish it all, and barely touched the sourdough on the side.

Daily special fish - MP

Other menu options included market fresh fish, which today was a crispy skinned barramundi fillet with black olive and orange.

Orto's house waffles - $16

But probably the most sought-after and photo-worthy dish was Orto's house waffles, with pineapple curd, fresh strawberries, ricotta and passionfruit. It tastes like sweet, sweet summer and I already can't wait to go back and have this dish all to myself!


Orto Trading Co
38 Waterloo St
Surry Hills NSW 2010
Ph: +61 431 212 453
Opening hours: Tuesday to Sunday 8am to 3pm, Tuesday to Saturday from 6pm


View Larger Map
Orto Trading Co. on Urbanspoon

13 comments:

  1. Have been meaning to get to Orto for quite some time now and whilst everything you ordered looks great it's that waffle dish that has nudged me closer to going. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous photos! I would love having fresh fish for breakfast like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love everything here! Gosh that waffle is a beauty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently brunched at Orto and it was amazing! I had the waffles and they were gorgeous and delicious. Can't wait to return to sample more of the menu :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a place to go for breakfast! Loving how they overload the waffles ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those waffles look so dam good! But more importantly, I love how descriptive you got in this post, makes me feel like I was sitting right next to you and sipping on that passion fruit juice right next to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, it all looks great. Everything from the fresh juices, to the corn, to the baked eggs to those waffles. I have hearts in my eyes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gah I need that corn right now! And why is it that eating out of the pan at home is so lazy, but in a cafe it's de rigeur? lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Every dish looks absolutely spectacular! Great photos too btw! I need to check this out

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the look of that corn. But wow, the topping on the waffle, it's like a pavlova, but a waffle.

    ReplyDelete
  11. […] good for a sweet treat or two! Some of my favourites were these some awesome waffles for brunch at Orto Trading Co, a cute popsicle dessert from 4Fourteen, an afternoon snack from Luxbite in Melbourne, and some […]

    ReplyDelete