3 November 2014

Ichi-ban Boshi, Sydney

Back in the day when I knew absolutely nothing about ramen and Sir D hated the stuff, Ichi-ban Boshi was one of the first ramen places I ever visited and blogged about. I remember thinking that the queues outside the restaurant must mean that they're serving up some pretty good food, but to be honest after my first visit I was not particularly wowed.


Things have changed a lot since then - lots of ramen places have opened up in the last couple of years meaning that I've been able to try different types of ramen and just eat a lot more ramen in general! So when I visited Ichi-ban Boshi again armed with my new ramen knowledge, it was quite a different experience

Iced green tea cappuccino - $4.80

A hot night meant that a cold drink was in order, and while Ichi-ban boshi has sake and Japanese beers on offer, I settled on an iced green tea cappuccino. The milky green tea is topped with an impressive amount of milk foam and raw sugar crystals. The drink also comes with a little jug of sugar syrup which you can add to your drink to adjust the sweetness of it.

Gyoza - $6.50

We start with the gyoza which we're told is one of the most popular items on the entree section of the menu. The gyoza are made in house and we can see why they're so popular - the bottoms are nicely crisped up and the dumpling pastry is rolled out quite thin. The gyoza are served on a soy and vinegar dipping sauce.

Grilled ox tongue - $11

I'm a sucker for ox tongue so when we spot this on the menu we have to order it. There's six pieces of thinly sliced ox tongue which are grilled and served with salt and chilli powder, and a wedge of lemon which is squeezed over the meat. The tongue is a little chewy but the fact that it's been sliced so thinly means that it's not at all difficult to eat.

Negimiso ramen - $11.90

Sir D goes for the Negimiso ramen as it's something that we don't see too often. He loves Japanese negi and this is topped with a mountain of it, finely sliced into matchsticks. The miso broth is spiked with chilli making it a little bit spicy, and who doesn't love the addition of corn to ramen? Sir D is a little disappointed that it only comes with one slice of chashu though, but it's still a satisfying bowl of ramen.

Tsukemen - $13

I'm plagued with indecision when looking at the menu, unable to decide between the tonkotsu ramen ($11.90), aburi chashu-men with grilled roast pork ($13) or the tsukemen ($13). I settle on the tsukemen and am offered the option of having it with regular egg noodles or spinach noodles. Spinach noodles it is!

Tsukemen dipping sauce

The noodles themselves are cold but come with a concentrated hot soup that has corn, leeks, roast pork, fishcake and seaweed. The noodles are laid out on a large plate and are dipped into the soup by the mouthful before eating, which coats each noodle strand with some of the broth. It's fast becoming one of my favourite types of ramen, especially as the weather gets warmer.

Spinach noodles

Ichi-ban Boshi makes their ramen noodles in house which is why they're able to offer two types of ramen noodles. Apparently making the noodles themselves rather than buying them actually cuts down costs and allows them to keep their menu prices down for customers. The spinach noodles are green but I can't really discern any difference between the flavour of the spinach noodles and the normal egg noodles. But it is a bit of a novelty to have green noodles!

Egg ramen noodles

Both Sir D and I thoroughly enjoyed our meal here and I actually thought it was much better than my first visit. We found out that there's actually an express version of Ichi-ban Boshi downstairs in the Galeries Victoria food court which has a reduced menu of noodles and rice bowls for a quick lunchtime feed with ramen starting from $6.80 take away. So if you're ever craving ramen but don't have time to sit down and eat a bowl of it in a restaurant - now you know where to go!


Penguin says Feed Me dined at Ichi-ban Boshi courtesy of SD Marketing.

Ichi-ban Boshi
Level 2, The Galeries
500 George St
Sydney NSW 2000
Ph: +61 2 9262 7677
Open 7 days, 11am-9pm



Ichi-ban Boshi on Urbanspoon

22 comments:

  1. I totes agree! I still got so much love for this place! Their tantan tsukeme is my current favourite. Gotta try the spinach noodles on my next visit for tsukemen fix!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been years since I've been to Ichi Ban Boshi too. I remember my excitement at finally scoring one of their limited bowl of tonkotsu ramen! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of spinach noodles before - it sounds a lot healthier! Of course it might all be perception...

    ReplyDelete
  4. How pretty are those spinach noodles, I would of chosen them too. The number of ramen joints opening in Sydney over the past few years is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This place is so good! You're absolutely right about the gyozas; have to make a point to go back ASAP

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh yes Ichi ban boshi. It too was the first place I ever went to for ramen. And the queues used to always be so long before all the ramen stores started opening up here. Tsukemen and tonkotsu are my favourites here and I never knew they did ox tongue!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooh yummo! didn't know they had ox tongue on the menu :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. haven't tried spinach noodles at ichi ban boshi. very curious to brave the queues and try this out

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooh i love ox tongue! its been a while since ive been to ichiban boshi we are just spoilt for choice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Ramen Raff - Ooh never tried the tantan tsukemen but will need to give it a try next time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Helen - I was never able to get one of their limited tonkotsu ramen bowls! But now I think they're on the menu permanently (though I've been distracted by other menu items and still haven't tried it!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Amanda - yeah I'm not sure whether they're healthier but they're green... so it must be good for you right? lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Sara - There's so many ramen joints I almost can't quite keep up! But I love that there's so much choice now

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Blaise - I'd never tried the gyozas here before but they are seriously good. Don't think I've ever had gyozas with such a thin dumpling skin and so crispy as well!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Chris - The queues still seem to be pretty long despite all the new ramen shops opening up. I was surprised to see ox tongue on the menu too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Vivian - Neither did I till I visited! It's the thin type of ox tongue that you tend to get at Japanese yakiniku but they grill it pretty well so that the fat starts to render out and it's nice and tasty :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Annie - The spinach noodles don't seem to be advertised on the menu so I'm not sure if they have them all the time. They only offered them for the tsukemen though so maybe it's a cold noodle item?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi milkteaxx - I know, there's been so many new ramen places opening up I'd almost forgotten about ichi-ban boshi! But judging from the queues it still seems to be competing well with all the new restaurants which is good to see

    ReplyDelete
  19. Haha Ichi-ban Boshi is where I popped my ramen cherry too! Albeit, back at their former location at Strand Arcade. Their gyoza remain one of my faves.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this place so much, especially the tantan ramen. I've only been able to get my hands on the Tonkotsu ramen once and it was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the ramen here, the tonkotsu ramen is so hard to get though but worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. […] (well, new to me at least) Japanese restaurant that blew our socks off… and re-visited some old […]

    ReplyDelete